Friday, July 17, 2009

A Day at the Fair



Unfortunately, this is the best of the three pictures taken of me at the OC Fair yesterday afternoon. The other 124 pictures are of the boys having a tremendously good time in the carnival section. That is the only section we visited. We didn't get to see Al's Brain, even though we are big Weird Al fans. And yes, I am in a wheelchair in public here for the first time. There is no way I could have lasted all those hours on the knee walker. Katie pushed me around like a saint all day, even though two capable boys were with us.

They were a little busy doing little boy things, like this:



They both won hammers, and Max won a banana, but AJ won a blue monkey and a green frog, too. Basketball and water gun, woohoo! I got to carry those around on my lap, and it was fun. AJ ended up giving Savannah the frog after dinner. But Blile the Monkey, named for his blue smile, was kept for AJ himself, and hasn't left his side since he fell asleep last night.




Even though I was pushed around in a wheelchair, I'm still tired. You wouldn't think this would constitute as exercise, but there was that one time we got stuck trying to go over the bumps on the electrical wires (or was it a ditch? we got stuck a few times) and the wheel fell off, along with the leg holders. Some strong man who just happened to be there at the fair came along and lifted the wheelchair with me in it out of the whatever it was and put the wheel back on the chair. Or maybe Katie put the wheel back on. It was a blur. But we got back on four wheels and enjoyed the rest of the carnival portion of the fair. Holding on to the wheelchair frame over the many ditches offered ample opportunity for arm exercise.

The boys had some shaved ice, and we all split some cinnamon sugar yammies, and then we met the big boys afterward for a nice dinner at the Outback Steakhouse. I've pretty much been sleeping ever since then, but I'm awake now. The crowds and the sunshine and the exuberant children and everything else has taken its toll on me. But if you asked if I would go back again today, the answer would be yes!

Note: If you are viewing this blog post via Facebook, I would appreciate it if you would comment on the original blog post instead of the note. Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. I love carnivals and fairs. It sounds like you guys had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don't get back to the fair this year, I believe Al's Brain will still be there next year. Actually, we have high hopes that ALL of Weird Al (not to mention all of his band) will be there next year. Al's brain is definitely worth a visit... fast-paced, funny, with a new song and accurate neurological factoids. ~OE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! We do intend to try and get back to the Al's Brain exhibit and to see a friend in the arts and crafts building, but if not, then I hope we can see Weird Al live next year! Or even if we do. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Yay, comments! I adore comments! Thank you! (They will appear after I release them).