Thursday, June 4, 2009

A Perfect Mission

Fourth Grade in California means that you learn about California history. Namely, the missions. Everybody gets to build a mission, see a mission, write a report on a mission, eat, breathe and sleep MISSIONS! And I love the missions. I think they are serene and unspoiled (except by earthquakes), and I love the architecture and the gardens.

So, we went to see Mission San Juan Capistrano, and we did a report and a model on Mission San Juan Bautista. It was definitely a group effort. I pity the child who would be faced with this daunting project alone.

After purchasing a book about how to make a model mission from scratch, I finally gave up and ordered a styrofoam model online. Then I had to buy paint and glue, and even though I tried to learn how to use the glue gun, Angel was much better with that than I was. We all did our part, and in the end, the mission earned A PERFECT GRADE today.

The roof:
From 09 April May


Several little pieces:
From 09 April May


Several more little painted pieces:
From 09 April May


Sorta' almost done, or at least--painted:
From 09 April May


Better view of the bell tower:
From 09 April May


The aerosol paint ate the foam, and it looks JUST LIKE earthquake-damaged adobe that was glued together twice:
From 09 April May


AJ made a fountain and other things out of Play Doh:
From 09 June


He made a pool, with a duck:
From 09 June


The mission courtyard:
From 09 June


The tree is my fault:
From 09 June


Interesting story: Lemonade only had one bell to donate from his bird toy, so we made the bell tower ULTRA REALISTIC because earthquake damage actually did render the tower bell-less for about seventy years, and when AJ's teacher asked him about it, he was quick to explain the historical accuracy of absence of bells. The missionaries used the little bell with the rubber band on it, in the front, to call people to mass instead. AJ knew that without being told. I didn't know what the little horse-tie-looking thing was until he told me.
From 09 June

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yay, comments! I adore comments! Thank you! (They will appear after I release them).